Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lisette Continental Dress Sew-Along... done!

This dress is good for summer...

(Sorry about the grubby mirror- lets just pretend they're lovely over-exposed sun spots.)
This came together quite quickly once the pattern was sorted (like Sally, I spent quite a bit of time umming and ahhing about which size I would actually be). I measured myself and traced the pattern onto some cheap interfacing. The pattern told me I would be a size 14 but after I traced it out, it looked way too big for me. I ended up doing a 10 on top and a 12 on the bottom, after holding up similar style dresses I own against the pattern (very technical haha).

I cut a good 3 inches off the bottom. Perhaps if it wasn't so roomy I wouldn't have done that but I had to reduce the 'tent effect'.

The gathering was also slightly strange- I gathered mine too much causing the arm holes to curve in towards the centre too much. When I tried to correct it, I couldn't loosen the gather because the neck binding wasn't long enough to make it all the way around. Next time I will cut a longer piece of neck binding and gather it more loosely. 

Having said all of that, I am really happy with the overall result. I don't sew a lot of clothing (maybe because as this post proves, it is hard to take photos of yourself modelling the clothes without looking like a doof), but this was really fun to make. Great for clothing novices like me! 

I think I might make another and try to perfect the imperfections!

Sew Along details over at Curly Pops.

... and winter!


Eep! Can you see I have failed to cover the gathering stitching with my binding?!

9 comments:

  1. I think it's gorgeous and very flattering!!! I love the fabric you chose. You will definitely get some wear out of it Autumn has yet to show it's face here. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! All those little things you said are only little and I wouldn't have even noticed the curved in arm holes unless you said. I thought about joining in with this but I didn't know how hard it would be and plus, I've never really worn anything with a tie around the waist because I don't think it suits me very well. But after seeing how good yours looks on you I am tempted to give it a shot..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric you chose!
    The great thing about this pattern is that it's easy and very forgiving for us dressmaking novices. I had that same problem with the gathering stitch showing too so I unpicked those stitches once I finished the binding.
    Thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great.Seems like you you had a few similar issues. Mines going to be a bit tent like but I think I can adjust it. The next one I make will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it Sarah! Like the versatility with a cardi and leggings too. Lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah,
    The dress looks fab, well done. Don't worry too much about the sizing guide on most commercial patterns(if i did that i would be about a size 16/18), you are better off measuring the pattern pieces. You can still adjust that dress to minimise the tent effect by undoing the hem and gradually taking in the sides, but i wouldn't because i think the belted skirt really suits you. Also if you have machine stitched the binding on the neckline and armholes, you can now remove the gathering stitch so it is not visible. See you Sunday, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this version. It almost convinces me that the style might suit me. Where did the fabric come from? I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous fabric! This just looks the bomb on you! I always have trouble with the sizing guides too! Once I made a skirt in size 20 ... I ended up being a 12! Um?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's super cute and I love the fabric. Love seeing these dresses popping up over blogland. Make me want to get back to my sewing machine! :)

    ReplyDelete